Re: Notify OSD: Talk about giving the user preferences

Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> I wonder if the easiest form of preference would be for the user to
> be able to drag the notification somewhere and for it to remember
> where you left it (with a check that it's still on the screen given
> your current monitor setup).  This lets the user put it anywhere they
> like - I think the trick though is the semantics of when you can get
> the mouse over it to drag it.

The only issues with this is that it conflicts with the behaviour that
mouse over notification makes the notification disappear. Secondly, I
can see people moving the notification by accident, so it should require
more than just click + drag. Perhaps if you mouse over with Alt, it
could not disappear and it would be movable. This idea is not bad, but
only deals with the placement (very simply, which is good), but ignores
timing and effect preferences.

Toni Ruottu wrote:
> In the old days Ubuntu had those funny comic book bubbles used for
> notification. Afaik there was no way to configure them. If users
> didn't find the default placement awkward then, why would they now.

AFAIK you could configure the placement of the bubbles by moving the
applet that controlled those bubbles to another location on the panel
(or to another panel). You are correct that the bubble notification
never gave the use control over timing and effects.

Regards,

David