Re: Question about Bug Reporting Tools in Ubuntu, from a design perspective...

On Thu Oct 08 08:06:15 +0100 2009 Natan Yellin wrote:
> Must people have credentials to report a bug on Launchpad? I know that when
> I need to create an account for something, I start to reconsider whether I
> really want to do whatever I'm doing or not.

We want to be able to ask them questions or check with them that the bug
is fixed. There is an implicit contract in reporting a bug that you
will responsive to those that try and fix it. If there is no LP account
then there is no way for us to contact them.

It would be possible to have a parallel service that just received the crash
reports and reported the most common crashers and the like, but I'm not
sure there's really a need for that from a developer perspective, unless
we were to shift a lot of reporters to use this rather than bugs. (Though
I'm personally not keen on that anyway).

Thanks,

James