Re: Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

Scott E. Armitage wrote:

>     I disagree. If the menu options clearly invite you to DTRT, then
>     you shouldn't have to worry about things like "the process is
>     running". You click on the menu, you start watching email, you get
>     notifications, you jump to your relevant email folder.
>
>     Mark
>

> Yes and no.. I agree that you shouldn't have to worry about it, but
> there should still be some sort of visual indicator. Just as an
> example, the OS X dock leaves a little blue indicator below icons of
> processes that are running, but for which you have closed all windows.
> It does not affect the /behaviour/ of the dock (clicking the icon will
> still either focus the most recent window or, if there are none open,
> start a new one), but the user /can/ see the difference.

It's a good point, but I think it's more applicable to applications
which are focal points in their own right. I think messaging is moving
into the background - it's just there, and shouldn't be a focal point in
its own right. In UNR in 10.04 we'll have a launcher on the side of the
screen. If you put the email client in your launcher, then you'd see the
indication that it's running. But if you don't think of that service as
a first class citizen and just leave it in the background, then let it
stay there, exposed only in the menu.

Let's try it out with more appropriate menu items. If that's not enough,
we'll do something more specifically visual to indicate that a messaging
service is on or off in a future iteration.

Mark