Re: Message Indicator: Listing apps in menu even if they are not on

> How does a user go from "Here's a list of apps you can launch" to "Here are
> some apps that should always start when you log in"? Should there be a
> dialog asking if you want those apps to auto-start the next time we log in?

I just tried what I thought was the most obvious path: I opened
sytem->preferences->session manager (the specific names may be
incorrect, I am translating back from my locale to English). It opens
the session manager window.

Then I went to the "Applications" menu and drag and dropped Epyphany
onto the session manager window. That's it, epiphany will open next
time I login.

I am afraid that most users may not know that they can control the
programs that start at each session using that window. But if they do,
it looks quite intuitive to me.

> I think the only correct path for this is to load all the apps, and then
> logout, saving the session... but I know that broke in gnome-session a long
> time ago by design, and I'm not sure if it ever came back properly.

Unfortunately the auto-save feature does not seem to work with empathy
for me. I had to explicitly add it to my session as described above.
It works for other applications though (for example for
gnome-terminal), and partially for some more (firefox opens up but not
in the same virtual desktop and position). I looks like empathy
gnome-session report is broken.

> This would seem like another great justification for the indicator-applet to
> have a preferences dialog. Users will want to configure what shows up and
> what doesn't (Just because evolution is installed doesn't mean I want it
> there. Likewise, just because I ran an application once to try it doesn't
> mean it should live ind the messaging menu for eternity).... users ALSO
> should be able to configure which indicator-apps start up automatically.
>
> Maybe this indicates that the indicator-applet and session properties should
> be somehow more integrated?

That may be a nice idea. Another possibility would be for the applet
use the preferred application information. In this case if the
computer has many mail programs installed. Only the default one for
each user would appear in indicator applet (at least if is not
running).

Paulo