Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 08:31 +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> On 15/03/10 18:01, Jim Rorie wrote:

>  - ethereal notifications for things you can afford to miss
>  - indicators for things that should persist (even across a reboot)

>  - we'll try to create indicators which serve a general purpose and can
> be used by multiple related apps

This is the problem I'm pointing out.  I don't see any flaw with what
you've implemented. It's what you haven't YET that is causing problems.

Applications need a general purpose spec blessed by Ayatana to resolve
the interactivity problem NOW, or they will create their own solutions.
The resulting workarounds will all differ in look and feel, much like
the panel icon context menu that you are trying to fix with the IA.  You
will spend time trying to fix this problem and likely annoy developers.
And it could have been avoided.

Before you pulled the functionality of the old notifier, you should have
had AT LEAST A SPEC in place for the handling of new interactive
notifications.  Work something out fully now and silence the criticism.