Re: GSoC '10 Idea : NotifyOSD improvements

On 19/03/10 02:22, Dylan McCall wrote:
> This begs the question: Why on Earth was the coloured wants-attention
> icon dropped? Could indicator-messages differentiate the importance of
> events and use a different icon accordingly? (For example, coloured
> icon for actual messages, just lit up for when contacts log in).

The spectrum of attention-grabbiness, if you want to think of it that
way, is:

 - outline
 - dimmed
 - full mono
 - green
 - orange
 - red

We don't flash :-)

The coloured wants-attention messaging icon was nuked at my request
because it was 3D, and our icons should be flat. I'm expecting a flat
green version that we can test, soon. Yesterday would have been nice :-)

The real question is one of taste and urgency. How urgent is a message,
really? If it's something that we never want anyone to miss, we should
go green. Otherwise, we could use the raise from dim to bright mono.

> Further, why does the indicator-messages icon go dark (like when Bluetooth is turned off) just because there aren't messages? It suggests that there are no messaging apps running.

We should use outline-to-full to indicate that there are messaging apps
running.

Mark