Re: Tooltips

Op woensdag 24-03-2010 om 22:13 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Mark
Shuttleworth:
> Confirmed. An indicator should not flash for an indefinite period, but
> an animation, or transition, is acceptable. Examples are:
>
>  - the sound indicator going red when muted and sound tries to play
>  - the network indicator animation during connection

So can I get an animation during the period that I still have a message
waiting?

*Please*?   ;)

Oh, and quoting from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_vision :

        Peripheral vision is a part of vision that occurs outside the
        very center of gaze. There is a broad set of non-central points
        in the field of view that is included in the notion of
        peripheral vision. "Far peripheral" vision exists at the edges
        of the field of view, "mid-peripheral" vision exists in the
        middle of the field of view, and "near-peripheral", sometimes
        referred to as "para-central" vision, exists adjacent to the
        center of gaze.[citation needed]

        Peripheral vision is weaker in humans, compared with other
        animals, especially at distinguishing color and shape. This is
        because receptor cells on the retina are greater at the center
        and lowest at the edges (see visual system for an explanation of
        these concepts). In addition, there are two types of receptor
        cells, rod cells and cone cells; rod cells are unable to
        distinguish color and are predominant at the periphery, while
        cone cells are concentrated mostly in the center of the retina,
        the fovea.

        Flicker fusion threshold is higher for peripheral than foveal
        vision. Peripheral vision is good at detecting motion (a feature
        of rod cells),

Considering that the indicator applet(s) are often in the user's
peripheral vision, this should tell something about what's needed to
call for attention from there...

--
Jan Claeys