Re: Fwd: Proposal of new UI element for windows in Ubuntu: Esfera

On 29 March 2010 19:02, Eduard Grebe wrote:

> This is certainly an interesting set of ideas worth thinking about. I'm
> not sure mouse-based gestures would work well, however: I suspect they
> would be very cumbersome compared to direct button clicks.

A radial pie-menu is a good alternative to gestures. It provides most
benefits of gestures, and has a much gentler learning curve.

I don't think gestures nor pie-menus would work in an item placed so close
to the screen edge, though. But it would work if invoked from the window
title bar instead, either through double-click or right click.

This solution has an advantage over direct buttons: the target area is much
bigger, so it would require less targeting time even if the required mouse
gesture is a bit more complex.

The Esfera might be used to make this menu discoverable, though I would put
it closer to the center of the title bar - maybe next to the centered window
title.