Re: Fwd: Proposal of new UI element for windows in Ubuntu: Esfera

This is certainly an interesting set of ideas worth thinking about. I'm
not sure mouse-based gestures would work well, however: I suspect they
would be very cumbersome compared to direct button clicks.

Nevertheless, I think this concept can be further developed as a
touch-centric UI element. (Obviously gestures work very well on touch
screens.) One of the huge UI challenges is intermediate-sized devices
with touchscreens (e.g. tablets, large phones and netbooks with
touchscreens). While the iPhone software and Android have done well to
design touch-oriented UIs that work well in phones and for simple tasks
like web-browsing on a larger device, I think devices that have more
desktop-like functionality will be very difficult to interact with using
such a UI. On the other hand, pure desktop UIs are not suited to
finger-interaction.

I think an important opportunity for Ubuntu lies in developing form
factor-agnostic UI concepts that allows variations of a single look and
feel to work on a variety of device shapes and sizes (much like UNE
differs from the standard Ubuntu experience, but still seems familiar to
an Ubuntu user).

(Note, I also think a speech-to-text engine and framework built into the
standard Ubuntu would be huge strength on smaller devices. I don't know
whether Google's work on Android is part of the open source project, but
if it is, it might be worth while looking at it.)

Sorry about my long and possibly uninteresting rant.

Eduard