Re: Integrating Application Search & Install

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 21:45, Diego Moya <turingt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If aiming for simplicity, I see how restricting search to just
> applications can help. But when the user searches to retrieve
> applications is because s/he don't know which application is the best
> one to use for a given task, in which case it's highly valuable to
> show all valid applications for that task, not just those installed.

exactly, the dialog should be interactive, simple and context driven.
GNOME Usability is currently discussing Do-ifying the ALT+F2 dialog to
handle this type of functionality..

now something about XFCE Application Finder itself, the mysterious
application that inspired this discussion in the first place..

upon trying to launch an application e.g. Calculator, a .desktop file opens
in Gedit instead..
perhaps i should mention that in the XFCE ML, but right now it breaks the
whole experience with this idea..