Re: Default to single click to open files and folders

> Why? How is selecting an item first, then initiating a drag more
> discoverable that simply dragging it? To my mind they're both as hard to
> discover as each other.

I'm not talking about selecting an item first and then initiating
a drag. I'm talking about starting a drag *without wondering
whether you will activate the link or not*.

As for all the other points you brought up:

Until I read your response, I didn't realize I was treating "require
double-clicking" and "require two clicks" as the same thing, which
is not true.

My major worry about defaulting to single-clicking is losing the
concept of "selecting", for other actions other than opening. That
does *not* mean I'm in favor of double-clicking as it is today
(two clicks which *must* be close to each other). Yes, it's awful
and hard to learn.

Wouldn't be a good compromise if files could be opened with a
single click *if the file is already selected*? Think of it as
a double click with *infinite time* allowed between the two
clicks. That would, at the same time, avoid accidental opening,
would not require speed and would allow alternative actions.

In summary, here is a clarification of my position:

1) I *am* in favor of getting rid of the concept of double-clicking,
as in "two clicks really close to each other". It's hard to
learn and non-intuitive, I completely agree.

2) I am *not* in favor of opening files/folders with a single
click. Accidental openings and losing the concept of selection
are too high of a price to pay, in my opinion.

3) I do not believe those two options are the only ones. Why not
open a file with a single-click *only if the file is already
selected*?

Thoughts?