Re: Default to single click to open files and folders

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:18 +0200, Conscious User wrote:
> I'm not talking about selecting an item first and then initiating
> a drag. I'm talking about starting a drag *without wondering
> whether you will activate the link or not*.

I've never had that problem. But if you have, then I guess others would
too.

> My major worry about defaulting to single-clicking is losing the
> concept of "selecting", for other actions other than opening. .

It's still possible, it just requires a different approach: drag a
selection box over the file/folder(s) or use a modifier key. Nothing's
lost, but learnt behaviours would have to change.

> In summary, here is a clarification of my position:
>
> 1) I *am* in favor of getting rid of the concept of double-clicking,
> as in "two clicks really close to each other". It's hard to
> learn and non-intuitive, I completely agree.

Cool.

> 2) I am *not* in favor of opening files/folders with a single
> click. Accidental openings and losing the concept of selection
> are too high of a price to pay, in my opinion.

I understand your concern.

> 3) I do not believe those two options are the only ones. Why not
> open a file with a single-click *only if the file is already
> selected*?

This would work, but as Thorsten mentioned it would introduce state and
still require two clicks.