Re: Default to single click to open files and folders

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 20:18 -0400, Sohail Mirza wrote:
> Changing learnt behaviours is easier said than done!

I agree.

> A cost of this change is the frustration of users who are accustomed
> to Windows' default behaviour at their workplace, or at home.  This is
> potentially a level of frustration equal to (or greater than) that of
> users fed up with double-clicking.  It's very easy to understate this
> cost, as you have done.

Again, I agree (although I don't think I understated cost--I didn't
mention even mention it).

> If indeed the cost of having users relearn file interaction is greater
> than the benefit of single-clicking, then it is not the right thing to
> do.

Agreed (again). In fact, I said exactly this in another reply.

"Changes like this should be backed by data gathered
by formal user testing. I would love to see single-click be the default
as I believe it to be a superior method of interaction, but if it causes
more problems than it solves then it shouldn't be the default."