Re: Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

Op maandag 10-05-2010 om 11:08 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Mark
Shuttleworth:
> On 03/05/10 10:44, Alex Lourie wrote:
> >
> > Will only *running* applications be there? Then no muscle memory can
> > be developed, as the list will be populated and re-sorted when new
> > application runs; this will cause some applications change their
> > location in the list.
> >
> > Alex.
> >
> > I don't agree. What if I have 10 applications that support sound
> > settings? Will they all always appear in the list? That would be
> > horrible user experience.
>
> It would seem sensible to me that:
>
>  - the default media player will be there, unless you say it shouldn't
>  - other media players that you run, will put themselves there, unless
> you say they shouldn't
>  - they persist in the sound indicator, so you can continue playing
> where you left off

I think that only one music player should be running (or at least
playing) at the same time, and the rest should only be listed as being
running in the background or alternatives to start.  Starting music in
any alternative music player should stop any other music player that's
already running and take over the minimal music player interface in the
sound indicator.

Something like this:

+----------------------------------+
| Mute All                         |
|                                  |
| < ==============[]======= <)))   |
+----------------------------------+
| ♫ Rhythmbox                      |  --> is running & playing
|                                  |
| ▦ ▦ Ada Makes the Machines Sing  |
| ▦ ▦ The Crystalline Effect       |
|                                  |
|  2:45 ==========[]======= 3:50   |
|                                  |
|        [◂◂] [ ▶ ] [▸▸]           |
|                                  |
| Blah                             |  --> options for current player?
| Foo                              |
+----------------------------------+
|   Banshee                        |  --> is not running
| ● Quod Libet                     |  --> is running but not playing?
| Sound Preferences...             |

Now if I would start music in Banshe or Quod Libet, Rhythmbox should
stop playing, move to the list at the bottom, and the newly active app
should take over the mini player interface.

--
Jan Claeys