Re: Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

Hello,

Am 20.05.2010 23:48, schrieb Jan Claeys:
Op donderdag 20-05-2010 om 12:00 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Mark
Shuttleworth:
We discussed auto-attenuating music when a *phone call* comes through,
which makes sense. But multiple music players.... that's up to the user
to handle.

Can anybody give a use-case for having 2 music players *playing* at the
same time?  And I'm thinking about playing music from a music library or
listening to on-line radio or similar, not another sound-producing
application...

I often use this.
One example is when looking through a folder of video files to find the correct one or to sort them. I have rhythmbox in the background playing my favourite music and I open each of the video files in vlc, and I would be upset if rhythmbox stopped playing every time.

Ok, that's not exactly "playing music from a music library or listening to on-line radio", but where would you draw the line? I would expect that if playing music is a reason to pause the first player, playing a video player would be, too.

I wouldn't even be sure if the browser shouldn't be considered a player in this case, too. I guess a lot of people today use online sites (Youtube etc.) as their primary source of audio and video, so they would wonder why this is different from playing local media. But if you add the browser, every silly website with audio would make your player stop, because you cannot tell whether the user wanted this website to play sounds or not.

As someone else on the thread said:
If you keep it like it is, every user will understand the situation, and will know what he needs to do if it disturbs him. After all, this is nothing different from having a radio and a cd player playing in the same room. But if you do automatically disable audio applications, users will be surprised because something happened (first player stops) that they didn't initiate, and probably many users wouldn't notice why this happened. You would need to add controls to disable this behaviour for now, and globally.

So I'm strongly against this.

Greetings, Philipp