Re: Updating UI issues

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Shane Fagan
<shanepatrickfagan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a bone to pick with the update system in Ubuntu. It hasnt changed
> since I started using Ubuntu (Gutsy).

It changed rather radically (IMHO) recently when it went from an
indicator to a popup. There was a quite heated at times discussion of
this change.

> For one I dont think we should get asked our password to check for
> updates. (Thats a big one for me). I dont even think by default the user
> should have to check at all. I think it should be checked once every
> week instead unless the user doesnt want that.

That already happens (and the popup window just appears. You WILL be
asked your password to install.

> The second thing is can we put the updates in the software center
> instead? I know its complex to implement but having a separate program
> with only 3 buttons is a waste.

I think updates are different from getting new software, but having an
"Update" button in the software center has merit. Android 2.2
apparently supports this.

BTW, the Update Manager / ease of maintaining Ubuntu was one of the
main features that sold me on the platform. Great to always look for
ways to improve but it is a critical system and needs careful
consideration (over more than one version).