Re: Fwd: Open Letter: The issues with client-side-window-decorations

"Ted Gould" <ted@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:01 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Without CSD there is nothing to fix.  I'd prefer not breaking things in the
>> first place and that's one small point.  I still don't know what you want out
>> of CSD the merits all the work to patch apps back into the consistency we
>> already have.
>
>I think that for sure we're making some problems that have already been
>fixed, but I think that is also descriptive of the current situation
>that we have.  It's a local maxima.  I think every direction is down
>hill, but there's another mountain for us to climb that is higher than
>where we are now.
>
>On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 18:41 +0200, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> As mentioned in my open letter: I want to help you. I am willing to spend my
>> time and expertise on this issue to ensure that we don't end with an utterly
>> broken CSD library in GTK 3.
>
>Cool, that is great!  But, I'm worried that we're approaching this from
>different assumptions.  My reaction there is "let's figure out how to
>make CSD work" while yours seems to be "let's figure out how to get
>window decorations to work."  So, I guess my question is: If we assume
>that the window manager isn't going to draw decorations, how can we make
>that works as good as possible with KWin?

Why would we ever want to do that? I'm still not aware of any reason for CSD other than to work around limitations in some window managers. I think Martin and others have been very clear and direct on the downsides of CSD.

CSD is broken by design and absent some (not yet explained) really compelling need for it should in no way go forward.

Scott K