Re: Putting some brakes on the enthusiasm

On 8 June 2010 18:38, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would an ayatana-dev list be useful place to start sharing ideas on
> participation?

Only if it would be an actual development list and not a discussion
list like this mailing list. If an 'ayatana-dev' mailing list would
only be used by people that have some proposals, questions or
suggestions for the development and not by Canonical-paid Ayatana
developers then I'm afraid the list will stay quite low traffic. I
don't think all discussions really have to be public, but the mailing
list could be used the same way as the #ayatana IRC channel is being
used more and more nowadays. If you discuss (general) issues and
things like that in public it is much easier for people to participate
in that discussion and maybe even contribute to a solution.
So yes, in that case I do think it would be a good step.

> Each of the individual projects is run as a good upstream: they are on
> Launchpad, there is a public trunk branch, you can branch and make merge
> proposals to land features. In addition, the folks there would certainly
> be open to giving time to discuss how best something might be
> implemented (a pre-implementation call) for anything which is in a spec
> but not yet implemented.
>
> So, as individual projects, I'd credit the DX team with the way they are
> hosting their projects. But I agree, there isn't (or I'm not aware of)
> an overall place where the engineering participation is discussed, other
> than #ayatana on freenode.
It is indeed a good thing that the DX teams is using the
infrastructure already. It helps a lot that the code and the bugs are
out there and already people are using the opportunity to contribute
code to Ayatana projects.
However, like you already say in your last line "there isn't an
overall place where the engineering participation is discussed, other
than #ayatana on freenode." That is the most important missing piece.

I'm happy to hear that you do like
<http://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/UIRoadmap>, because I think that such
a table would solve this problem.

> Mark