Re: Fwd: Open Letter: The issues with client-side-window-decorations

On 09/06/10 18:02, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Please tell me you are joking. After all the arguments I presented you still
> think CSD is the road to go? You completely ignore my arguments, you actually
> have not even read my arguments or you would know that some things like
> closing hung windows or aligning window buttons are impossible.
>
> All I wanted was to start a discussion about what is missing in decorations.
> It's not me who wants to keep window decorations, it's you who want to replace
> something working with a broken concept. And you should at least be able to
> present one valid use case what can only be achieved with CSD. So far you only
> proofed that you have no idea what's possible with window decorations. This
> mail is quite a slap into my face and an insult. I really hope this is not the
> attitude Ubuntu stands for today. I thought it was about "humanity".
>
> I wanted to offer my help. I saw that you are heading in the wrong direction
> based on the missinformation that you cannot achieve certain theming options
> with window decorations. As I presented several times in this thread all you
> want is possible right now in kwin. Apparently you did not even take the time
> to look through the mails on the wm-spec mailing list or my blog posts of the
> last half year.
>
> I'm totally shocked. I hope for the future of Ubuntu that you will learn that
> you cannot ignore your Upstreams. And you can be sure that I won't spent one
> minute on fixing any issue caused by CSD in kwin. Bug reports will be set to
> invalid and I will enforce window decorations on CSD windows, if it is
> necessary. It would be unacceptable that windows cannot be closed if they
> hung.
>
> I wish you all the best, but I feel like wasting my time in this discussion.
> Go your way, destroy the user experience we used to have.

Martin, calm down.

Based on your correspondence I earlier asked the Canonical team to
review the idea and make sure it's something we want to do. Folks are
keen to do the right thing, and nobody wants to take a step that we will
regret later if it can be avoided by careful assessment now. It will
take a little time to caucus folks across the Ubuntu and design and DX
teams, and then we'll make a decision. I appreciate the effort you have
put into helping us with that, and we'll probably have more questions later.

Assuming that people are muppets just because they have a different
opinion is just... rude. Your mail above says "I will be very hard to
collaborate with", nothing more or less. You might want to relax a little.

I don't think that the relationship between the window manager and the
user is sacrosanct. It's what we have today, but it's not the only way
of doing things. I know that's heresy when spoken to an author of window
managers, but that's how I feel about it. My interest is in moving
things towards the best possible user experience, period. And if CSD is
needed for that, we'll do it. If it isn't, we don't want to put work
into something just because it's shiny.

Mark