Re: Updating UI issues

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 11:57 +0100, David Siegel wrote:
> I enabled automatic updating on my Nexus One, and I have to say it's a
> bummer! While dealing with updates all of the time can be a drag, I
> miss being notified of new releases of software because those
> notifications give me the opportunity to read changes and learn about
> new features. So, if we do get to a point where we're automatically
> updating applications, it would be nice to still let users know that
> their applications have been updated and display changes.

= Log =

With avoiding interruptions in mind, there could be a log of updates,
including release notes, ready for the user to check if and when they
want to.

Access could happen through the Software Center.

= Emblems/Marks =

Everywhere applications are listed, an emblem/mark could be used for
those that have been updated, but not used since. (Obvious risk of noise
and wonderment, could only be offset if the marks lead to information in
the most direct way.)

= In-Application Notes =

Applications could indicate that they have been updated recently in the
title- or menu-bar, offering direct access to update/release notes.

Perhaps by using a windicator.

Currently the closest thing would be the "About" item in "Help" menus. I
have been wondering if that should be ripped out of applications, to
instead have a centralized means of accessing the same (and more)
information.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: