Re: Restart Required

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 21:25, Matt Wheeler <m@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2 August 2010 20:35, Frederik Nnaji <frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > When clicking "Install Updates" in update-manager, USER should be warned
> > explicitly that doing so will require a restart. USER should know this
> well,
> > before updating.
> >
> > *Does* Ubuntu warn the user beforehand that the updates about to be made
> > will eventually require a restart? I can't recall..
>
> A potential problem with the wording you've used is that users may be
> put off actually doing the updates.

Today, i did my habitual sudo apt-get update, followed by my favourite sudo
apt-get upgrade.
gnome-terminal showed me this:

**user@machine:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common libwww-perl
  linux-headers-2.6.32-24 linux-headers-2.6.32-24-generic
  linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic linux-libc-dev
8 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 43.7MB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y**

As we all see, there is no notice about how installing a new linux kernel
will require restarting the system to complete successfully..

Do we want to make updates so silent, that we don't notice them happening?
Perhaps in that case it would make sense to leave the power icon on the top
right corner of screen in its usual state, instead of coloring it in
red-alert fashion.. !?