Re: unity and notifications

Here is a quick idea that struck me after I hit send on the last post:

1)The bubble notification makes it's appearance @ bottom right of the
screen (unfaded)

2)It moves along a path to the top of the screen (fading away as it
goes)

3)It lands in the 'Me menu'. At this point is is completely off screen,
not visible.

4)The 'Me menu' changes colour subtly, alerting the user
non-obtrusively, that the system has something to say.

5)in the 'Me Menu' is a new call out entry called 'notifications', with
a history of maybe the last 10 events. Clicking on any notification
takes you to the relevant email, message, app etc.

This has the advantage of:

If the user is at the screen, they are immediately notified that
something has happened. It is no longer NB that they take time out to
read exactly what that is.

If the user was away for a cup of tea, they can immediately see there
were events while they were away and can access them unobtrusively.

The visual disturbance of the moving notification bubble is minimal
(maybe 2 seconds) and not concentrated on 1 area of the screen where the
user may be working.

Touchscreen compatible.

Heading away for Hols, but if you guys think this idea is worth
investigating I can make a video mock up when I am back.