Re: 'Control Center' should be in 'Launcher' not in 'Session Menu'

On 11/03/11 15:51, M. Adnan Quaium wrote:
> May be it can be renamed as "Desktop Preferences" or any suitable name
> (if it is possible) rather than "Control Centre"...

Changing the name won't change it's unsuitability for the Me Menu. It
just doesn't fit there at all. If it must be placed in any indicator
menu, whatever the name, the Session Menu is the best fit (though far
from perfect).

On 11/03/11 15:56, Luke Benstead wrote:
> Absolutely, the control center doesn't fit at all in any of the
> indicators (although certain elements of it do).

I do actually think one can make a rather good case for a Control Centre
within the Session Menu. Although I think it would be far better to
include select administrative tools (e.g. Users and Groups) in
appropriate indicator menus whilst leaving the remainder exclusively
within the Dash. I also rather like Kévin PEIGNOT suggestion of a
dedicated Control Centre (or Administrative Tasks) place.

On 11/03/11 16:00, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> Bit of stretch maybe, but...
>
> Preferences are personal. They're about what you want, as opposed to
> system defaults, application behavior, or even data. In that sense,
> there's something inherently "me"-related to the settings I've selected.

That is indeed a bit of a stretch. Though it was as valiant attempt, if
ever I've read one, to shoe-horn something into an indicator menu. ;-)

By the same token one could merge the Messages Menu into the Me Menu on
the grounds that (nominally) are directed towards the end user (the
proverbial 'Me'). The Me Menus brief is concerned with online status and
identity to wit a Control Centre entry has no relation. The Session
Menus brief is a little less clear (to me) but a reasonable
interpretation would be that it's concerned with sessions (obviously)
and system status (the latter of which could be used to justify the
presence of a Control Centre).

On 11/03/11 16:50, Conscious User wrote:
> I agree with the previous proposal of making it a Dash
> view. The control center is just a categorized set of
> application shortcuts, exactly what the Dash is
> optimized to handle.

+1

Kind Regards,

Lee
--
"In order to offer someone a financial reward without him working for
it, the government must first ensure that somebody else works for a

	-- Douglas Wilson