Re: Thoughts on Unity design

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Phong Cao <phngcv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I am talking about here is SWITCHING and MANAGING applications, not
> OPENING applications. In Shell I just need ONE CLICK to manage ALL OF MY 9
> WINDOWS.

The panel is for switching, opening _and_ managing "Applications".
It is not for managing windows because Unity is application-centric.
But G3 is application-centric as well. It got the same kind of
launcher/dock. And like the mother of all app-centric OSs, Mac OS (X)
they now all use expose/scale to manage windows in addition to
alt-tabbing.
Windows 7 is coming from a strictly window-centric taskbar but has
incorporated some dock like behavior, however not without neglecting
the *window* management too much - you can still manage every one of
your windows from the taskbar. Hence it "manages" to do without a
proper expose feature.

As promised I just posted "Ideas for Unity 2.0 (no global menu, no
panel, improved info area...)"
Have a look at section 2 and the mail it references to.

Please tell me what you think of G3 expose vs the taskbar in G2 in
terms of managing open windows.