Re: Idea for improving visibility of running applications

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Niklas Rosenqvist
<niklas.s.rosenqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can't we continue the discussion here since we are already arguing here?

I think we should split it then, change the subject to something like
improving Unity for window-centric workflow (was: Idea for improving
visibility of running applications)

> So what exactly is the mockup showing? Is the wider background box showing
> the currently focused application and FF and TB are hidden? Please provide
> us with further explaining of what is what in the mockup since the left
> launcher is already a configurable option in CCSM. One thing I noted
> immediately is the lack of the subtle background boxes in the right
> launcher. I don't think that is a good idea since those boxes gives
> uniformity to the launcher between the different states when a squared icon
> set isn't used. I don't think it would work well with the default icon set.

FF/TB and banshee show two different possible solution for running
applications: a light thin highlight around the icons or a larger
rectangle background. I didn't show any mockup for hidden apps. The
background boxes are more a matter of taste, it works well without
them for those square icons but it could work for all I think (look at
the Windows and OS X "docks"). But I'm open to that, though at least
I'd get rid of the highlights at the top and bottom and make them more
bland to increase the difference between highlighted running and
non-highlighted not running apps.

Here's a new mockup that hopefully answers your points:
http://i.imgur.com/L55Yk.png
In case of Design B all background boxes would need to have the same
size as the color background.