Re: Message Indicator Behavior

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 00:03 -0400, Brandon Watkins wrote:

> The message indicator really needs some love. The current behavior is
>   pretty un-intuitive regarding IM's. When you get a new IM you can
>  click the indicator and click the message their to bring up the chat
>  window, this is great. What isn't great is if you go back to another
>   window and want yo go back to your message window, the window just
>   disappears from the indicator until you get a new IM. This is just
>  inconsistent and confusing behavior. You should always have all chat
>                    windows listed in the indicator.
>
> Say you can an im from someone, and they sent you a link. You open it,
>    click the link and want to respond, but you can't go back to the
>  indicator, I have so move my mouse all the way to the other side of
> the screen and unhide the dock. This irks me to no end! The indicator
> would be so much more useful if it just listed all open chat windows.

Interesting.  It goes back to the concept that you'd always look to the
messaging menu to see where your messages are.  The idea being that you
don't have to care otherwise.  My concern would be that it would make
the menu very large.  Currently we restrict to only 7 items per
application.  I'm curious if that would start to be a problematic limit.

        --Ted