Re: Dash search vs Alt+F2 in 11.10

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
<mikkel.kamstrup@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/22/2011 08:46 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
>>
>> Den 22. sep. 2011 20:40, skrev Alex Launi:
>>>
>>> Can someone explain why we think we want the ability to run rm directly from unity anyway? Is there a single person who wants this functionality who doesn't have a terminal open all of the time anyway?
>>
>> rm is a bad example. But being able to restart compiz using "compiz --replace" without opening a terminal and running "nohup compiz --replace" is a good reason to keep it around. Or to quickly open a root nautilus. (Which itself is an example of situations when it should not be necessary to run a command) Stuff like that.
>
> Just for historic reference: The Alt-F2 mode in Unity was added because there was a *major* uproar from users that it was gone, when we transitioned from the Gnome2 panel. So we added it back.

My original thought was about having the two be approached
consistently. The functionality of Alt-F2 is still useful, especially
when taking command parameters, like others have pointed. Even without
them, at least out of habit :).

Approaching the two by the user consistently, meaning not to think
what to use when launching "text editor", "gedit", "gedit ~/file.txt",
"gedit -s". All 4 is used to launch a text editor in varying ways, but
first 2 work with dash-search and last 3 work with current alt-f2
implementation.

One can divide the launches between "standard" vs "advanced" ways and
have 2 separate interfaces dealing with them - which is what is done
currently and is what others have pointed out.

But what is there to lose if the two are done through same interface -
without any lose of functionality of either? Some subtle difference
between the two can be brought in, such as like  joerlend suggested
with "~". Or, having no difference in the input, but instead
additional command-prefix completion is shown below (lens?) in
addition to the free text search results - such that input is both
treated as case insensitive free form search + case sensitive command
pre-fix search.

This will save some metal taxing on the users (note: it wasn't
difficult to pick before because I only had to choose alt-f2).

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba