Re: Dash search vs Alt+F2 in 11.10

Den 26. sep. 2011 13:21, skrev Naba Kumar:
y and is what others have pointed out. But what is there to lose if the two are done through same interface - without any lose of functionality of either? Some subtle difference between the two can be brought in, such as like joerlend suggested with "~". Or, having no difference in the input, but instead additional command-prefix completion is shown below (lens?) in addition to the free text

I have not proposed anything like that. That was someone else, and I completely disagree with it. I don't want commands in the dash at all. They do not belong there. I like it just the way it is, but having an output section in the Alt+F2 screen would not be too bad. I don't think it's important.

But using ~ as a prefix for commands would be horrible. It would also make it much slower to use. Instead of pressing Alt+F2, I would have to press super, then press altgr¨¨. Many more key strokes in order to do the same thing. If something like that was to be implemented, then I would say the proper prefixes would be $ to run as yourself and # to run as root. But again, I really don't want that.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad