Re: Overlay scrollbars

I wasn't trying to "detract" or "minimize" the OPs observation. I was simply stating my experience to see how it related with others. I have not had the problem OP speaks of because I always use the "grabber." Historically (prior to 11.04), I have always HATED how hard it is to resize windows in ubuntu. So I turned to the grabber  because it was the only way to reliably get a window resized using the mouse. Frankly, I'm still not clear on why using the grabber does not solve the problem? It's just that OP does not want to use the grabber? Is there drawbacks to using the grabber?  Just wondering if there's negatives about the grabber I'm missing.

It does seem like a tough situation because unlike the old-scrollbars, the new ones act just like the resize popup function, coupled with Ubuntu's unfortunate reality of not using any pixels to create a border around windows creates a really tough working environment.

Would adding a visible border around windows (like MS Windows does) help improve the situation? Wouldn't it still result in confusion about which popup (resize or scroll) should popup?

From: stapostol@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:15:59 +0100
Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Overlay scrollbars
To: nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2011/10/6 nick rundy <nrundy@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Have you tried using the lower-right corner to resize your window?

 Using the lower-right "grabber" you can resize the whole window, resize just horizontally, or just vertically. The "grabber" that was introduced in 11.04 was a much appreciated improvement for resizing windows in Ubuntu.

Customer: "Waiter, there is a fly in my pudding."Waiter: "Have you tried the potatoes? They are quite good."

The OP raises a valid issue, regardless of whether workarounds exist. I've also encountered this issue from time to time, but I can't say it's bothering me all that much. However, this doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Two things I'd love to see improved (over the 12.04 video):(a) as, the OP suggests, hide the arrows quicker when the mouse moves away. This solves the resize vs scroll issue, and makes the GUI feel faster to boot.

(b) make the arrows thicker to compensate. This has the additonal advantage of improving support for laptop touchpads and touchscreens.
Android is a good example of both (a) and (b).

Thoughts?