Re: Files Lense Search Improvements

Den 05. okt. 2011 17:56, skrev matt:
I'm not sure I understand, as far as I was aware doing a search of the
file system does not require it to be indexed. Indexing is just a way of
speeding things up isn't it?

If I am correct about indexing then my proposal to use a similar system
to gnome-search-tool could surely be implemented relatively easily.

It would ruin the things that makes the dash good. I can now use it to launch any application or used file in 2-3 seconds. Having to wait one second is annoying. More than that is unacceptable. If I had to wait 40-50 seconds every time I wanted to open a file, then I would certainly stop using lenses altogether. I just searched through my home directory for a single file and that's the time it took and this is not a slow machine.

But speed is not the only issue. Zeitgeist is able to log many other things than just filename and where it's stored. It logs how the file is opened, for instance. For example, if you double click a file in Nautilus and it opens in Totem, than Zeitgeist logs that you used Nautilus to initiate the action. It can log other kinds of metadata as well. For instance, it can log where you were using GPS coordinates if you have such a device. It can log the people you were with if you use Bluetooth, etc.

The lenses should use this kind of data to learn from your actions and your contexts. For instance, if you often have evening meetings with a certain group of people at a certain physical location, then the dash should prioritize the documents you've used in that context, even if you have documents that matches the search better. For instance, if I'm in a meeting with Jim, John, Carrie and Lisa and I search for "mail" in the files and folders lense, then it should display the files I've received in email from either of those persons first. It is more likely that I'm looking for an email attachment they are referring to, than any other email. Obviously, other files would still be available, but ranked lower.

The point is that the lenses shouldn't just be a pretty search interface. It should be an interface between your mind and your data. For instance, a WebSearch Lense should not search all search engines for the phrase you give it. Instead, it should display a list of search results you've actually opened, based on the search phrase. The lense might present a button to do a generic search, but that should not be the default.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad