Re: semi-transparent indicator menus

Omar B. wrote on 28/10/11 14:48:

>> From: frederik.nnaji@xxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Unity introduces a new look, but Indicators Menus, which were
>> there before the Dash, are not yet up to date in that respect.
>> Obviously, there is no alpha for indicator menus, no way to set
>>  transparency in CCSM for them. I'd like to have control over
>> that as a power user, power user being the bridge between
>> designers, developers and plain users.
>>
>> the main reason i see for having transparent indicator menus is
>> visual consistency: finally, we'd have one unified look for all
>> of Unity, of which Indicator Menus imo are a part.

Which do you think is more important: for indicator menus to have the
same style as other pull-down menus, or the same style as the Dash?

> ... Would look more consistent and nice.
>
> some mockups:
>
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JSR8IC77Ub4/TTRwD1iIvKI/AAAAAAAABoM/yxWXeJR6ZCo/s1600/unity_global_menu_idea_by_musl1m-d3400kk.png

http://musl1m.deviantart.com/art/Unity-Global-Menu-Idea-188117732

So if you chose the Dash ... Which do you think is more important: for
all pull-down menus to have the same style as shortcut (context)
menus, or the same style as the Dash?

If you think *all* menus should be semi-transparent, then there will
be all kinds of situations where the background makes the menus hard
to read.

The Dash partly solves this readability problem by using larger text
whenever possible. Menus can't.

> Also, gnome-shell menus look way better, so unity is very far
> behind here and is looking outdated compared to many shells, even
> the "commercial" ones.

Actually those mockups remind me of Mac OS X a decade ago, before its
designers realized that any level of transparency in menus was a bad
idea. (But then they repeated the mistake with the menu bar as a whole...)

- --
mpt