Re: option to disable Unity launcher

For a user who is not a programmer, the investment of time required to
learn the programming language, learn good programming practice, study the
framework documentation, the codebase itself which changes faster than one
can study it, and then write, debug, unit test and deploy the new feature,
then learn how to push the final change upstream in source control, finally
accepting criticism for the change and possibly having to redo the whole
process, the total cost of entry is too high. Learning the language is a
significant investment of time and energy in and of itself even if you're
already a multilingual programmer. I know Ruby, perl, bash, c, c++,
objective-c/++, and I'm learning Java and d and its still a significant
challenge to learn a new language.
I submit to you for this very reason that if no-one has made it a feature
or at least made it possible to do it much easier than writing it yourself,
then they have not "allowed" reasonably for the users to do it. This isn't
to suggest that a developer must allow the user to configure everything,
but most things should be reasonably easy. It should be easy to move the
launcher to the right or bottom, or turn it off in Leu of a replacement, as
it stands, none of these options are provided by unity as written for
distribution. There's a few things I think need reworked at the design
phase for unity and the use of lightdm to make the user experience more
acceptable for power users, but those are for another letter to the mailing
list. The point is that just saying "well, it's open source/free software,
write it yourself!" Is not good enough for end users of what is supposed to
be a consumer product. It may be a great feature that the code is available
for modification, but the vast majority to us users are not going to invest
all the time, energy, and possibly even money to figure out how to write it
ourselves and instead will wait for someone who already has the skill and
knowhow to write it for us.