Problem with selection of window from different workspace

Hi all,

I've searched launchpad.net and I cannot find this reported yet. But as I'm
not familiar with launchpad I wanted to mention it here first and see if
I'm just inept at how to search on launchpad.net.

The problem is that sometimes when selection of a window from a different
workspace occurs, the window is moved down by x number of pixels such that
it is in two workspaces. I suspect this is only related to people who
arrange their workspaces with more than 1 row (I use 2x2 and have
considered going 3x3, I find it easier and quicker to navigate than having
it all in one long row).

I've tried to recreate the problem but I find it very difficult to
recreate. However it does happen a lot (I use 11.10 approx. 2 to 3 hours
per day and it will happen at least once per day).

The side affect of this is that if you select an open window via the
launcher that protrudes into another workspace then it will not change the
workspace, it does however select the window.

It is possible that I'm accidentally moving windows such that the bottom
edge is protruding into another workspace (which would make sense as in
trying to recreate it, I wasn't able to). I will start monitoring carefully
what is occurring that causes this problem. It's quite possible that the
problem is mine but I suspect it's either a combination of window resize
via shortcuts, moving windows between workspaces or minimizing/maximizing.
Trick is trying to figure out what combination is causing this problem.

I can recreate aspects of the problem if I drag a window such that the
bottom edge only protrudes into the bottom one by say 10 or 20 pixels (easy
to do with Firefox if your reorganising windows, you tend not to notice the
status bar protruding below your workspace). If you go to the workspace
below, you cannot see the window protruding as the bar with the global menu
and indicator apps masks the window.  However if you select a window in the
workspace below, and then use the launcher to select the window in the
workspace above (or via alt tab) then it appears as though nothing occurs.
The window is selected, but you cannot visually see it because it is masked
by the bar at the top of the screen.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

I would suggest that when selecting a window that extends into the current
workspace, if the global menu/indicator bar masks it then the workspace
should be changed to the one above the current workspace. Either that or
make the top bar transparent like the launcher so a user can see the window
extending into the workspace.

Cheers,

James

Follow ups