Re: Should we move closer to gnome again?

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:19, Christian Rupp <christian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I really like unity and dislike GnomeShell for different reasons.
>
> But Gnome plans some really cool stuff such as the recent mockups for
> various apps.
> http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/gnome-design-update/
> and
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/new-updated-gnome-application-designs.html<http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/new-updated-gnome-application-designs.html#disqus_thread>
> The question is shouldn't Ubuntu move as fast as possible to the latest
> gnome version so that they can implement most of these thinks in 12.04.
>
> 1) Music player:
>         - banshee needs mono, is slow and still is a gtk2 app
>         - rhythmbox looks ugly
>             --> help Gnome implement the music mock up and you have it
> 2) Chat: the current look of empathy isn't really good
> 3) Videos: currently we have a video player and banshee: banshee has a
> library, video player not but banshee will be removed
> 4) network senntigs look a lot better in gs than in unity (here you have
> just to change the option in the connection indicator)
> 5) notifications: i really like the integration of empathy in GS you don't
> need to open a window just type something...
>
>  and: Online accounts is nearly useless in unity and their is no calendar
> (although I prefer Thunderbird we need a calendar)
>
> But a think most important is: the farer we got from gnome the bigger the
> differences and the harder for gnome, canoncial and app developers to
> handle different shells

Diversity has its cost, but the benefits are so enormous, that it became an
underlying principle of natural evolution.
Let's look at the advantages, instead of losing ourselves in a futile
discussion about what cannot be changed.
Both approaches offer alternative implementations of quite much the same
concepts.. i'm happy we're not stuck with one large product, that we have
the choice between two or more variations.

If Unity and GS should become closer again, i'd suggest to keep that on a
platonic level ;)