Re: Should we move closer to gnome again?

2011/11/12 Christian Rupp <christian@xxxxxxxx>:
> I really like unity and dislike GnomeShell for different reasons.
>
> But Gnome plans some really cool stuff such as the recent mockups for
> various apps. http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/gnome-design-update/
> and
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/new-updated-gnome-application-designs.html
> The question is shouldn't Ubuntu move as fast as possible to the latest
> gnome version so that they can implement most of these thinks in 12.04.
>
> 1) Music player:
>         - banshee needs mono, is slow and still is a gtk2 app
>         - rhythmbox looks ugly
>             --> help Gnome implement the music mock up and you have it
> 2) Chat: the current look of empathy isn't really good
> 3) Videos: currently we have a video player and banshee: banshee has a
> library, video player not but banshee will be removed
> 4) network senntigs look a lot better in gs than in unity (here you have
> just to change the option in the connection indicator)
> 5) notifications: i really like the integration of empathy in GS you don't
> need to open a window just type something...
>
>  and: Online accounts is nearly useless in unity and their is no calendar
> (although I prefer Thunderbird we need a calendar)
>
> But a think most important is: the farer we got from gnome the bigger the
> differences and the harder for gnome, canoncial and app developers to handle
> different shells

In my opinion, as a 14 years old Linux user, GS now has more coherence
than Unity. Infact objects, icons are grouped in places of the screen
where you can find same aim or use. Moreover, Unity is thought to be
used by millions of people: how could this happen if one, after having
installed Ubuntu, should install vlc in place of totem, alsaplayer
instead of banshee and so on? Success will arrive if Ubuntu will
spread all over applications as tv, desktop, tabs, palms,
groak-urf-urf (not discovered yet aliens device for fast
communications) and kind of user: from old Debianers to New(bie)
people! If Ubuntu will be configurable by geek but usable by a Dummy
there will be the great jump in the history of Gnu/Linux.
My 2 cents,
Supernova