Re: HUD design ideas

I also don't generally think we should completely substitute the traditional menus.

Let's think for a second how would a company like Apple would do this. I bet they would add a little search Icon next to their global menu which would then open a search-box, just like pressing ALT opens the search on the HUD.

Anyway, that's my opinion on how they would implement it if they were to copy it (yes, for competitors am pretty sure will be worth copying :D, so dont be surprised if it happens).

So that's what i think. HUD should complement (at least for now till they refine the experience and make it so good that the majority will use it more than the traditional menu). And maybe we could have a windicator with a search icon next to the global menu for mouse user discoverability.

Anyway, for apps with lots of options and complicated menus or hidden advanced options, this is awesome. In fact there were some experiments from the Waterloo edu labs with Gimp to do just this and make it very easy to get started with:

http://www.adaptablegimp.org/

I must say the difference for a new user using Adaptable gimp is huge and HUD can bring this to almost all apps.