Re: A few problems with launcher always-visible and ways to improve it.

For #1, to make it less distracting while launcher is always visible and focus more on the content/task of the application, apart from using backlight-toggles, we could also use the same solutions from UnityTV and opening The dash: Dim the icons that are not in use.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/01/img6954-1326262525.jpg
http://www.buntus.com/sites/default/files/styles/incontent/public/images/slide/ubuntu-tv.jpg

From: estelar57@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: unity-design@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:21:07 +0000
Subject: [Unity-design] A few problems with launcher always-visible and ways	to improve it.

I have made some tests with my folks (since a few releases now) and yes the launcher always visible is less confusing for switching between apps or launching new ones , but there are a series of other issues that many times avoid full time usage.

1-Make the launcher less distracting and more subtle:

The Rainbow of colors (too many backlights On at once) is very distracting, specially with a maximized app. They sometimes feel the launcher is part of the app or that they cant focus enough...

Is why i found the dodge so useful in this situation to avoid these frequent distractions and focus more on the task at hand.

-proposals:
a) Another way to minimize distraction would be to use the "backlight-toggles" option by default instead of backlights always-on. Yes, is not as efficient as the dodge to keep the focus, but it helps.
Should submit bug?

2- Harder to switch between several apps with multiple windows, because of the constant invoking of the spread/Exposé.

-proposals:
submitted the bug, more in-depth description and possible solutions here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/908811

3-netbooks ?

-proposals:
a)use smaller icon size ?