Re: No more dodge windows in Unity ? Why keep the "Always hide" option ?

On 02/09/2012 10:28 PM, Florent Delayen wrote:

But I, and many members of the french community, can prove that keep
"always hide" instead of dodge is a better choice than remove the dodge
too.

I guess you meant "keeping both 'always hide' and dodge is a better choice than removing dodge"? If so, go on, 'prove' it, if that involves any arguments that haven't been presented already.

This solution just creates another problem they'll find in some months
or a year when a newcomer tester will tell them "why the launcher is
hidden when I have nothing on my desktop ?"

No, because the default is always-visible and the assumption is that a user who changed it to always-hide already discovered the launcher and will get the expected behavior.

The only problem I can think of with that assumption, would be cases where someone uses a system configured by someone else. I doubt that this is common enough compared to user-started-with-defaults cases. But if it would be, it would be an argument against any single behavior-related configuration option.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/