Re: creating .desktop files to add launcher entries

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Alan Pope <alan.pope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/02/12 15:48, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
>> On 19. feb. 2012 15:36, Alan Bell wrote:
>>> One common request is to add arbitary applications to the
>>> launcher. This is *hard* right now, you have to manually write a
>>
>> It's not hard, actually. It's quite easy. Install Alacarte.
>
> Alacarte pulls in a load of stuff I wouldn't expect for a menu editor
> including gnome-panel gnome-session-fallback. Be nice if we had an
> integrated system of editing menus rather than pulling in lots of
> other gumpf I don't really want.

Alacarte recommends gnome-panel since that's what provides
/usr/bin/gnome-desktop-item-edit which is what implements the dialog
to create a new item. Maybe we can breakout that binary into it's own
package?

$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/gnome-desktop-item-edit
gnome-panel: /usr/bin/gnome-desktop-item-edit

Then the quicklist could just call:

gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new ~/.local/share/applications/

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Maintainer
<http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=a.starr.b%40gmail.com>