Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 00:57, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To launch what you know you have installed, use the Dash.
>
> To explore what may be installed, or may be available, use the Software
> Centre.

Wow ,  that's a shocking suggestion :  in order to see what's
available I need to start an application.
And this is supposed to be a progress compared to the old-style
desktop environments that can display a quick list of categories
without external software.

I'd really like to understand the rationale against the idea of having
some sort of applications browser that is usable like an old-style
Applications menu    :    see a list of categories and be able to see
the contents of a category WITHOUT clicking on anything.

Speaking of Software Center :   in order to see what's in every
category i need to click on the category in order to expand it .
And scroll up-down  , because when going to the next category  the
previous one remains expanded .  The Software Center is clearly not
the tool that I am hoping to see in Unity .

Please believe me that in gnome2 or xfce   I use the apps menu a lot .
  It's easy enough so that i rarely feel the need to create shortcuts
on a panel.   Every application has it's own well defined place inside
the menu.

Hmm...   perhaps this is what irritates me about searching/filtering
in the Dash :   when using these filters there is too much visual
noise (huge icons ,   see more 666 results  ,  apps available for
download )    and a particular application will never appear in the
same place on the screen .
The visual clutter gives me a constant feeling that I never know
what's available for use .