Re: Some impressions about the current status of Unity

Dear Adrian,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Adrian Maier <syraxes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wow ,  that's a shocking suggestion :  in order to see what's
> available I need to start an application.
> And this is supposed to be a progress compared to the old-style
> desktop environments that can display a quick list of categories
> without external software.

The Dash is part of Unity just like the "Application menu" is part of
Gnome 2. From the user point of view there isn't a new application to
open.

> I'd really like to understand the rationale against the idea of having
> some sort of applications browser that is usable like an old-style
> Applications menu    :    see a list of categories and be able to see
> the contents of a category WITHOUT clicking on anything.

You still have an application browser, the only difference, as you
said, is that you need to click on the categories, instead of just
moving the mouse.

> Please believe me that in gnome2 or xfce   I use the apps menu a lot .
>  It's easy enough so that i rarely feel the need to create shortcuts
> on a panel.   Every application has it's own well defined place inside
> the menu.

Here is the key for your discomfort. You are used to open your
applications using the menu and did not like the idea of typing the
name (or description) in the Dash. One of the main characteristics of
the Dash, IMHO, is that the best way to find an application using it
is by typing Super+"name or description of the application" instead of
using the mouse until pointing the right place. You should give it a
try, it is much faster than using a mouse and you'll get much faster
after one of two days. If you insist on using only the mouse, than the
Dash is certainly not a good choice for you.

> Hmm...   perhaps this is what irritates me about searching/filtering
> in the Dash :   when using these filters there is too much visual
> noise (huge icons ,   see more 666 results  ,  apps available for
> download )    and a particular application will never appear in the
> same place on the screen .
> The visual clutter gives me a constant feeling that I never know
> what's available for use .

But 99% of the time you know exactly what you want to open. You know
you want to open firefox, or thunderbird (or e-mail application), or
Writter, or emacs. Just time its name, it is fast and usually you'll
get a single option after 3 or for letters.

Where I think the Dash fails is for people that can't really type. I
have two children, one is 5 and the other one is 8. The one with 5
learned to recognize the word "Game" from the old Gnome 2 menu and
then to click on it (or hover ) to see the list of games. Now with the
Dash he needs first to click on "Filter" (and this does not seem
natural all for him). It would be nice to be able to have the list of
categories always open as an option.

best,

Paulo