Re: The backlights on unity 2d's launcher icons dont seem to look as attractive.

I see what you mean and I think I know what it is.
The backlights in 3d have a background and a border. The border is slightly lighter than the background, giving a kind of 'lit up' effect.
The backlights in 2d lack this feature.

I will file a wishlist bug later, should be an easy fix.
Matt