Hello - on tablets, touchscreens & pens..

Hello everybody,

I just joined on this list - seems the right place to be as I started my tablet usability hacking (or should this be posted somewhere else?).. I got myself a new Samsung Series 7 Slate, and I've been evaluating latest Precise on it. Works somewhat, lots of more work required though. We'll see..

So, this device gave me some ideas on how different tablet style input devices like touchscreens, pens etc, should be handled - currently everything is always "on", which means you cannot use the pen if you want to lay your hand on the multitouch screen like you do when drawing on paper.

I think we could be more intelligent, and at least let the user easily choose.

I made a quick'n'dirty test on this, so there would be a indicator icon on the toolbar, and some backend logic. It seems very usable, now you can actually draw with the pen. You can check it out @ my blog:
http://henris42.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/touchscreen-pen/

What do you think - should this kind of functionality be part of Unity?

Cheers,
//HS

Follow ups