(no subject)

Sorry to re-post but I've been advised that emailing all contacts the way I had first time wasn't the best way of starting a discussion so this should correct that...

Hello to all,

I have just joined the list because I had a design idea for the

implementation of the locally integrated menus that are supposed to be

introduced at some point. I originally put the idea on brainstorm but it

was marked as 'not an idea' on the basis that unity design is actively

discussed in other places. I guessed this was on such place where my

idea might be more appropriately voiced but if I am wrong please let me

know. Anyway on to the idea...

Basically from the opinions of other Ubuntu users I have read (mostly on

OMGUbuntu) I understand that LIM is not particularly popular in its

current form. The 2 main criticisms I have come across commonly are that

1. having a vertical menu is not convenient and requires re-learning the

arrangement of menu items unnecessarily and

2. implementing LIM would mean an additional click is required to

actually see the menu which is counter-productive

so my idea so solve both of these would be to have an animated reveal of

the menu horizontally in the window title bar when the mouse hovers over

the menu icon. This would keep the menu as close to how it is currently

but also introduce the LIM concept of having the menu attached to the

title bar of an application. This solution also doesnt introduce any new

problems of dragging windows (that I have come across from other ideas)

since the menu only reveals when the mouse passes over the menu icon and

not over the title bar in general.

I'm sure a number of ideas for this have been explored and I apologise

if this particualr idea has also been discussed but it would be

interesting to hear other peoples opinions nonetheless.

Thanks

Follow ups