Re: (no subject)

I agree about LIM.  I used a similar system on KDE (oxygen-appmenu) and at
first I liked it a lot but over time it becomes a huge annoyance.
It feels inconvenient when you are just trying to get to a particular menu
item quickly (which is where the HUD could prove invaluable) and it can be
frustrating when you open a submenu and the mouse goes slightly in the
wrong place and in trying to correct you end up losing the menu and have to
start again.
As far as I'm concerned, LIM is NOT the way to go unless it is optional and
not default.

As far as your idea goes for integrating into the titlebar:
This is something I have also suggested in various places and seems the
perfect solution.
The menu is out of sight when not needed but just as easy to access as
traditional (boring) window menus.
The best bit is, it's consitent with the global menu so users who choose to
have the menu on the menubar or integrated into individual windows would
still be instantly familiar with the behavior (windo title replaced by menu
on mouse-over).

My only concern about your specific idea is the menu icon may be too small
a target for many users.
Discovery probably wouldn't be a problem since users would likely
mouse-over the menu icon just to see what it is but more experienced users
would want to move their mouse where the expect the menu entry to be, not
move to the menu icon then move across to the menu entry.

I think for such an idea to fully work, one would need to be able to place
the mouse in any part of the title bar.