Re: Ubuntu startup sound for 14.04 LTS

Hi Sam,

First, Thx for your work and it's good to see that's you want to contribute
to Ubuntu

I don't think a music is a good idea for a startup sound. The startup sound
have to be short. It's more... a sound. So the work to do is more like
sound design.

But I join Sid idea about a ringtone for Ubuntu phone. It could be great
with this great design phone. an high end ringtone. Ubuntu spirit is "I am
because we are", it's harmony, humanity and unity. If you're write a clean
melody with emotion, I think we'll have our future ringtone.

Best Regards,
Winael

Vincent JOBARD
http://aliaz.com/winael

2013/9/11 Sid Payton <sidpayton@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hello Sam,
> first I think you are doing a great thing by helping our Ubuntu community.
> This lifts the contributions received by Ubuntu to a whole new level. When
> even professional musicians / composer  take their time to contribute to
> this great project.
>
> To your request:
> I and many many more think a new start-up sound is required. There was an
> official contest for it for the 12.04 LTS release but never made it into
> official release.
> ( http://design.canonical.com/2012/02/ubuntu-sound-theme-design/)
> It was quite anyway and the sounds weren't that pretty in my opinion.
> But maybe Callum Pringle (callum.pringle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) or Nick Tait (
> nick.tait@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) can give you more information about what happend
> and where to submit you work.
>
> Besides the start-up sound I believe that wie could also profit Form some
> beautiful ringtones for the upcoming Ubuntu for phones release (late
> October).  So if you like to contribute even more there's a good start.
>
> Since musical contributions to Ubuntu are quite unusual and might take a
> while there's always another route:
>
> Make the music, upload them somewhere, notify us on this mailinglist and
> let the community post your links on Google+ and Facebook. If interest is
> big enough (and I belive so, espesially because you're famous) your
> request/contribution will get heard quite fast.
> But only if they fit the Ubuntu spirit ;-)
>
> Sid
> Am 10.09.2013 19:24 schrieb "Sam Hulick" <samh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Hey Rick!
>>
>> To be clear, I'm a composer, not a sound designer, so when I say "startup
>> sounds," I'm thinking something musical. I'll leave the UI sounds and other
>> alert sounds to someone more capable. Unless of course, they all take a
>> musical route. :)
>>
>> I could just whip up some stuff and submit it (to whom, I wouldn't know).
>> I'm looking for a more official channel, as in, someone who could take the
>> work I've done, say "yes, this will do" and then officially make it part of
>> 14.04 LTS. What is that process like?
>>
>> -Sam
>>
>> On 09/10/2013 12:18 PM, Rick Spencer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Sam,
>>>
>>> I'm sure there are all sorts of things that would benefit from sound
>>> design. From apps to the system sounds like start up sounds.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu is open to all sorts of contributors. Hopping on a mailing list
>>> is a great start. Essentially, you are asking to join the Ubuntu
>>> Community. Which is great, because it's open to anyone. Here's a link
>>> for getting started with the Ubuntu Community: