[Ayatana-dev] Unity and tooltips

Hi,
We removed tooltips from gnome-panel and indicators because it did not
add much value[1] and instead we choose to use icons that could quickly
convey the same meaning.

In Unity the Launcher has tooltips for the application icons and for
places.
While the tooltips from the indicators used to have more detailed status
messages, I'm not sure Unity's tooltips are of much value. All they do
is just mention the name of the application.

Is there a reason Unity's Launcher has tooltips for applications and
places? [While Application icons could be considered as unrecognizable,
Places icons are our custom icons so they should atleast be a bit
recognizable.Still not sure how these tooltips are more important...]

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-application/+bug/527458>

--
Cheers,
Vish