Re: [Ayatana-dev] The return of the ellipsis

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 18:38 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Conscious User wrote on 21/08/11 20:37:
> >
> >>     Wrong: "☑ Automatically shorten pasted URLs."
> >>     Right: "☑ Automatically shorten pasted URLs"
> >
> > Well, that looks familiar... :)
>
> There was an Inkscape example in there for Ted, too. ;-)
>
> > Is there a single, 100% reliable place where all those rules
> > are documented?
>
> Not that I know of. They should be in the HIG too. But having them in
> widely-used code would be much more effective than having them in the
> HIG.
> <http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/aesthetics/interface-levels.html>
>
> Meanwhile, Rodney Dawes has suggested including these tests in intltool.
> <https://twitter.com/dohbee/status/106387128849674240> I don't know
> anything about intltool, I'm just passing the suggestion along.

I was thinking Lintian, but apparently the only way to report bugs in
Debian requires getting a mail server properly set up on your computer
-- which I haven't managed to do yet.

In a nutshell, we can't really do the context ones.  But I was thinking
perhaps we could write a GTK+/Qt patch to give warnings on them.  Since
those would only be command line it seems that "real users" would rarely
see them.  Though, developers may miss them as well.

		--Ted