voice-driven-ui team mailing list archive

Re: PocketSphinx packaging

Siegfried Gevatter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seems like after the discussion about voice recognition there wasn't
> much done at all; the sphinx packages on REVU got updated, sphinxbase
> is in Karmic but that's it, nothing end-user visible.

Hi Siegfried,

I spent quite a bit of time learning packaging and updating both
packages - but had to ask special favours of a friend to get sphinxbase
reviewed before the freeze (and thanks for also seconding Daniel's
review :) ).

> I've been
> wondering whether we should give this a push, get PocketSphinx in with
> a Feature Freeze exception and update GNOME Voice Control to 0.3?
>
> I'm willing to review and even fix the packaging myself, but I'd need
> someone else to also review PocketSphinx on REVU and a reason for the
> Feature Freeze exception (maybe something around the lines of: the
> current version of gnome-voice-control doesn't work on amd64, 0.3
> fixes it but requires PocketSphinx; neither of the packages is likely
> to have any impact on other Ubuntu components, and they fill a gap in
> that wonderful but yet to be exploited field that is voice recognition
> :P).

Sounds great! The only thing that I wasn't able to do with the
pocketsphinx package was some wish-list stuff (generating the
lib-symbols) If you do update it, please let me know what else was wrong
with it.

> Wouldn't be a big tragedy if it has to wait for Karmic+1 but, don't
> leave for tomorrow what you can do today ;).

If you're not able to get it in, I'll be adding it to a ppa, and Karmic
makes it really easy to add PPAs to your system via software-sources.

--
Michael