Re: Debs for yade - part 1.

Artur R. Czechowski said:     (by the date of Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:51:03 +0200)

> Hi,
> I slowly started my work of packaging yade into deb packages.

great!

> I will probably take care about two of them (#2328 and #2341) and I will
> provide patches. But other two are for you.

if you do them it would be great :)

about splitting - If Olivier will not do that - I'll. Let's just agree
on names, maybe:

yade-package-dem-sphere
yade-package-dem-tetrahedron

we could also consider yade-package-dem-common, but maybe it's stupid,
and stuff from, yade-package-dem-common should just go to
yade-package-common.

> Licences.
> =========
> Well... Although most of yade have a licence that permit to redistribute
> your software freely, but some of used libraries could lead us to legal
> trouble. I will read those licences carefully and send you a report.
>
> There is another important issue: one library has a restriction about usage:
> only for non-commercial use. What it means?
> Companies are unable to use your software.
> If any (commercial or non-commercial) organization would like to pay you
> for support it would be impossible without violating the licence for library.
> Of course, you can buy a licence allowing you to make a money from this
> soft. I think, in the long timeframe, it would be better to rid off all
> libraries with non-OS licence.
>
> Please, take those issues into consideration.

yes, it means that we can't take money if somebody from Switzerland
wants to pay for support in using yade. We really have to work out those
problems! Especially becuase there is one guy from industry in
switzerland interested in using yade. We can't afford buying licenses
for libraries. And Magic Software is dead, so they are not selling
licenses anymore.

Olivier, have you mailed that guy who knows someone from Magic Software?
We really need them to change the license. Otherwise there is no other
solution, than to use your old Math library, and improve it to match
yade's requirements. I'm serious. We willl have to switch back, or fix
license problem.

With swiftpp there are less problems. When we split packages, then only
yade-package-dem-tetrahedron will be dependent on swiftpp. And then we
can't take money only for giving support to industry that wants to use
tetrahedrons. Olivier - maybe this is bad for you - it's your PhD, and
maybe in the future you could get money from industry that wants to work
with your tetrahedrons. That would violate license of swiftpp.

> Packaging.
> There are reports about accepting new version of packages into repository
> and bugreports reported to Debian BTS.

yes, do that :)